The resort embraces the natural beauty and serenity of the surrounding environment overlooking over 170 acres of neatly manicured 18-hole Championship golf course nestled in Belding, Michigan. Our facility comes complete with a full service hotel and restaurant and several wedding ceremony and banquet location on premise. Our environment is fast-paced, expansive and ever evolving… yet stable, rewarding, and enduring. It is a high performance culture where initiative and results are recognized and rewarded.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated self-starter with a natural drive towards customer service, seeking an opportunity to expand their knowledge and gain experience in a multi-faceted hospitality environment. This position requires a highly self-motivated individual who can work with minimal supervision and interact with patrons at a high-level.
The groundskeeper works closely with the Golf Course Superintendent, Head Golf Professional, and General Manager to Maintain grounds and buildings at Candlestone Resort. Very independent position. Responsible for daily course appearance. Ability to deal with the public and formulate solutions to Golf Course problems.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
Prior experience and/or general knowledge of the game of golf a plus. May require not less than one-year experience as a greenhouse grower, tree trimmer, construction and operation of heavy equipment, construction and maintenance, classes in carpentry and mechanics OR, an equivalent level of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES • Work outside for long periods of time and in all kinds of weather, performing tasks that require physical strength and endurance • Understand and follow instructions and specifications • Adjust to doing the same kind of work all day long or performing a variety of different tasks on the same, depending on daily business needs • Work skillfully with your hands to do a variety of tasks. Able to use arithmetic to measure, compute amount of materials to use, and to inspect product to be sure it conforms to requirements. Ability to understand and communicate written instructions. Ability to work unsupervised
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cuts grass and trims weeds using hand mower or power driven lawn mower, weed trimmer and brush cutter.
- Plants grass, trees, shrubs, or flowers according to instructions and planned design of landscaped area, using hand tools.
- Applies mulch to designated areas.
- Pulls weeds around bushes, trees and flower beds. Ability to work variable hours.
- Cleans buildings and grounds, washes windows and empties trash cans using brooms, cleaning supplies and floor buffer.
- Repairs and paints benches, tables, guardrails and may assist in repair of roads, walks, buildings and mechanical equipment using hand tools.
- Maintain fairways and all adjacent Golf Course property. Performs preventative maintenance of facilities and buildings.
- Performs light maintenance on Golf Course equipment. Trims hedges and prunes trees using hand and power tools.
- Perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks.
- Directs large problems to supervisor.
- Assists other departments in all Golf Course projects as directed.
- Responsible to self-initiate activities consistent with Candlestone Resort and department’s goals and objectives.
- Must report for work at required time and date and maintain a responsible attendance record.
- The ability to follow a supervisor’s instructions, tolerate certain levels of stress, and attend work on a punctual, regular basis.
- The avoidance of violent behavior that threatens the safety of other employees. Related and other duties as required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Varies from Medium Work to Very Heavy Work:
Medium Work: Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time), and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects.
Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time), and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects.
Environmental Conditions: Both: Inside and outside. A job is considered “both” if the activities occur inside or outside in approximately equal amounts. Wet and Humid: Wet: Contact with water or other liquids. Humid: Atmospheric condition with moisture content sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort. Exposure to: Odors, toxic conditions, dust, or poor ventilation.
COGNITIVE CONSIDERATIONS Must have the ability to read, write and organize material. Must be able to relate to others in a professional manner.
There are part and full time positions available. This is a seasonal, non-exempt position
This is a seasonal position to be worked during golf season only. There are full and part time positions available. Applicant must be able to work a flexible schedule, holidays, and weekends.
The hours will be scheduled by the Golf Course Superintendent and General Manager. When applying, please specify what position you are applying for.